SATURDAY MORNING TRAINING RUNS
For several years, a group of MHRRC members has been meeting for weekend runs in Poughkeepsie. MHRRC members -- AND ESPECIALLY NEW RUNNERS -- who would like to participate are encouraged to join us.?
Training runs are held every Saturday throughout the year, UNLESS THERE IS A CLUB RACE SCHEDULED (see "2017 Blackout Dates" below for dates when training runs will not take place).
Training Run Guidelines
- Most of the time, Saturday training runs begin at 8 a.m. sharp. During the months of July and August, the start time is 7:30 a.m. in order to avoid the heat.
- Participants have a choice of two routes: The six-mile run begins at Spratt Park, which is on Wilbur Boulevard in Poughkeepsie. We meet in the parking lot next to Christo's Restaurant, in front of the baseball field. (This location is approximately one mile from the intersection of Wilbur and Spackenkill Road, on the right.) The three-mile route begins in the parking area at Vassar Farms, located at the intersection of Hooker Ave. and Rte. 376; follow driveway to the end. Afterwards, both groups meet for coffee and social time at the Crafted Kup on Raymond Avenue near Vassar College.
- BAD WEATHER NOTE: If the run is going to be canceled due to weather, a note will be posted on this page by 7 a.m. on the day of the run. Thunderstorms/blizzards cancel, but rain (and light snow) generally do not.
- You are responsible for bringing whatever supplies (water, gel, a friend or two, etc.) that you need.
- At the present time, our pace is "leisurely" (10-11 minutes). Most (but not all) of the current group members are female, but we welcome anyone who wants to join us. We can accommodate whatever shape you are in, and routes can be modified if necessary. We have some walk-runners, and also some people who are a bit speedier than others, but we don't leave anyone behind, no matter what.
- Polly Sparling is the organizer. PLEASE E-MAIL POLLY (firstname.lastname@example.org) BY 5 P.M. FRIDAY EVENING IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND THE NEXT MORNING'S RUN.
- NEW RUNNERS: please feel free to try us out!
- 2017 BLACKOUT DATES: Training runs will not be held on the following Saturdays: April 22, May 6, May 20, June 3, June 10, July 22, December 2. On rare occasions, a run may be canceled due to illness, vacation, etc.; please contact Polly to be sure the group plans to meet on any given Saturday.
Questions? Please e-mail Polly at email@example.com. See you on the road!